This overview provides an update to QQI, our partners, learners and the general public on quality developments in Kerry Education and Training Board (Kerry ETB).
Developments relating to QA policy and procedure
The following factors have influenced Kerry ETB’s QA policies and procedures.
- Kerry ETB is developing QA policies and procedures in accordance with the Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) it agreed with QQI. In doing so, it is focusing on priority areas of development and on introducing new procedures for all of Kerry ETB’s provision that draw on the best of its current quality practices.
- Kerry ETB has been very active in contributing to national developments in apprenticeship and sector collaboration on assessment procedures.
- Kerry ETB has also made advances in the recognition of prior learning, including prior experiential learning.
- Kerry ETB has made strong progress and now has procedures for the following:
– QA Procedures for new National Apprenticeship Programmes
- KETB is still working towards the development of common assessment procedures that will apply across both FE and training. QA procedures for assessment (currently in pilot phase):
- QQI approved Kerry ETBs governance procedure and terms of reference for its governance units – The Quality Council, Programme Governance Board and Quality Assurance Governance Board.
- The Quality Council provides oversight of the quality of all Kerry ETB education and training programmes. The Quality Council commenced operation in 2018 and plans to meet four times a year.
- The membership of the Quality Council includes the following:
- An External Chair
- The Director of FET (Kerry ETB)
- An industry representative (Irish Hotels Federation)
- Representation from across the education and training centres of the ETB (a teacher and principal from a PLC; a training centre instructor and manager; a representative of the VTOS programme)
- A member of the Commis Chef Programme Board
- The National Programme Boards for the new Apprenticeship Programmes report to the Quality Council.
- The Programme Governance Board and Quality Assurance Governance Board reports into the Quality Council. The Programme Governance Board and the Quality Assurance Governance Board commenced operation in 2018 and plans to meet six times a year.
- Kerry ETB is currently considering how to represent the diversity of its learners in its governance membership and will be engaging with the ETB sector in relation to how it should action this.
- Kerry ETB recognises that it will need to build capacity over time in implementing its governance system and focussing on communication with colleagues across the ETB on governance and on the provision of briefings and training where helpful.
- The Board of Kerry ETB has approved the ETB’s strategy for the period 2018-2022
- The goals set out in Kerry ETBs Education & Training Strategy 2018 – 2022 have informed our QA policy.
Quality Assurance Unit
Kerry ETB has established a Quality Assurance Unit. The role of the Quality Assurance Unit is acting as liaison between the management/staff of Kerry ETB and its governance structure, and providing a bridge between the outcomes of governance at centre level and the governance of the ETB. The unit is also utilising the comprehensive programme data now available through the PLSS system. The QA Unit reports directly to the Director of FET. It is the first port of call for awarding bodies and communicates information received from awarding bodies to Kerry ETB governance units and centres. All communications between Kerry ETB and awarding bodies must come through the QA Unit.