Centralised and coordinated academic governance provides oversight of Further Education and Training Programmes and association services across Kerry Colleges and FET Centres. The purpose of Kerry ETB’s academic governance system is to ensure that teaching, learning and assessment, are quality assured, including work-based learning and assessment. The overarching academic governance unit is the Kerry ETB FET Quality Council. Kerry ETB has taken the opportunity to maximise external involvement in its academic governance. The FET Quality Council is chaired by an external Chairperson.
The FET Quality Council is responsible for oversight of the quality assurance of further education and training in Kerry ETB. The FET Quality Council publishes meeting notes on its work on a yearly basis and published an annual report.
Kerry ETB has published Kerry ETB FET Quality Council Annual Report for 2021 and Kerry ETB FET Quality Council Annual Report 2022.
Membership of The Kerry ETB FET Quality Council
- Chairperson – Brendan Tuohy, former Secretary-General of the Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
- Secretariat – Owen O Donnell, Director of FET
- Quality Assurance Officer – AEO – Aoife Mc Cormack
- Staff Member Kerry College Denny Street Campus – Deputy Principal – John Skinner
- Staff Member Kerry College Monavalley Campus – Medical Secretary Instructor – Mary Jo Staunton
- Staff Member Kerry College Clash, Denny Street and Listowel Campus – Principal – Stephen Goulding
- Staff Member Kerry College Monavalley Campus – Manager – Con O’Sullivan (Commis Chef Programme Board Representative)
- Staff Member Youthreach and Pathways – AEO – Shivaun Shanahan
- Staff Member FET Centres – AEO- Kevin Fay
- Staff Member Kerry College Admissions Manager – AEO – Elaine O’Connor
- ETBI Representative – Quality Assurance Manager – Jenny Conroy
- Industry Representative – Hotelier – Irish Hotel Federation – Michael Vaughan
The arrangements that apply to the membership, appointment and rotation, agenda management, and review of each academic governance unit are set out in the terms of reference:
- FET Quality Council Terms of Reference
- Programme Governance Board Terms of Reference
- Quality Assurance Governance Board Terms of Reference
- National Programme Board for the Commis Chef Apprenticeship Programme Terms of Reference
- National Examination Board for the Commis Chef Apprenticeship Programme Terms of Reference
- National Programme Board for the Wind Turbine Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Terms of Reference
- National Examination Board for the Wind Turbine Maintenance Technician Apprenticeship Terms of Reference
These processes are in place to quality assure our programmes and services. The scope of our programmes is extensive and we have a dedicated Quality Assurance Unit to support quality assurance across Kerry ETB. There are a number of quality improvement areas that have been identified through our Quality Action Planning.