WINDOWS ON OUR LIVES
A Kerry Local Creative Youth Partnership project
Some guidance for making your artwork from facilitator Zoë Uí Fhaoláin Green:
- From inside your home, looking at the view from a window, we invite you to take time to relax, and observe.
- Then to draw, paint, creatively photograph or write poetry about what you see, or what is missing from the view, and how that makes you feel.
- Consider – a detail, a wide view, natural and built environments, the colours, movement, stillness, the sounds you hear and textures you imagine.
- Be creative! You can use any method or combination of techniques to create your image.
- You could combine words and images
- You could make a sound recording of your poetry
- DRAWING: you could look for patterns in what you see, concentrate on colours, or draw all the lines you see
- WRITING: you could use your senses to describe what is there (or what you hope to be there). For example – I see a cloudy sky, I hear the birds singing together, I would like to taste an ice-cream with my friends, and feel the grass under my toes. Go back and add more detail to some of your lines, use adjectives and adverbs (describing words), or verbs (doing words).
- Then you could add in another line between some or all of the lines you have which give more details and atmosphere, or a reason for what you say in the previous or following line.
- Don’t forget that your piece of work can be a vision of what you would like to see – the future you hope to be a part of – and this can be drawn or written from your imagination!
- It would be wonderful to see your work and read your words. Please ask your parent/caregiver for permission, and to email from their email address your words, image (as a Jpeg) or sound recording (as an MP3 maximum 20 seconds) to me at firstname.lastname@example.org from their email address, and include your name.
- Also, you can combine images and words on your piece – you might be really good at collage or enjoy digital photography and you could use any of these methods.
- Then I will add all the work to the video slideshow, which will also have a soundtrack that I make taken from and inspired by your work. This will be shown online and around Kerry in shop windows on Saturday 13th June for Cruinniú na nÓg, a celebration day for children and young people’s creativity. Thank you for taking the time to share your artwork!
We also hope to continue with this project and have an exhibition in the future when it is possible to get together again. We would display all the artwork as well as the video, and the young people who took part would have a chance to meet each other.
Good luck, and have fun!
Contact: Deirdre Enright, Creative Youth Co-Ordinator, Kerry ETB. Mobile: 085 8734946