Who we are
Meet the team
Left to Right
Angela O Sullivan - Information Officer
Rico Stein - Co-Ordinator & Guidance Counsellor
Ita Lane - Guidance Counsellor
Locations throughout Kerry
View Guidance in a larger map
What we do
Kerry Adult Guidance & Information Service (KAGS) is the part of the Kerry Education and Training Board that provides eligible adults with:
- quality educational guidance
- career guidance
in order to assist them in making choices appropriate to their needs. The Guidance Service is for people who are unsure of what they want to do, while the Information Service is for those who know what they want to do but require information.
One to one guidance
Can help clients to explore their goals, to match their interests and skills to future careers, explore educational options to best meet their needs or to examine the next steps after finishing their education.
We can also provide support over the phone and by e-mail and shortly our clients will be able to use Skype to video-call us for free!The guidance and information services are:
- Free of Charge
- Friendly and relaxed
“Guidance made it clear how I could go on and showed me how to get what I need and the confidence to do it” - KAGS Client
Who it's for
Our door always is open
Kerry Adult Guidance and Information Service has two parts: Guidance and Information Guidance is for people who don’t know what they want to do while the Information service is for those who know what they want to do but need information to go about doing it.
The Information Service is open to all adults in Kerry. Guidance is open to the following Target groups as laid down by the Department of Education and Skills:
- Adults who left school with low or no formal qualifications or low literacy levels.
- The unemployed, particularly the priority groups identified as part of the Government’s activation agenda.
- The long-term unemployed and those at risk of becoming long-term unemployed, especially those in the older age groups.
- Those not in work but not eligible to be on the Live Register.
- Those in the workplace with basic skills needs.
- Disadvantaged women who have particular experience of barriers to participation.
- Disadvantaged men, including those experiencing rural isolation.
- Lone Parents and others with caring responsibilities that may prohibit their participation in full time courses.
- Homeless People.
- Substance Misusers.
- People with Disabilities
- People for whom English is not the mother tongue, who require language and literacy supports
- Former residents of designated education institutions and eligible family members
Guidance Resource Library
Kerry Education and Training Board does not take responsibility for the accuracy or otherwise, of any content on external websites
Funding and grants
- Possible Sources of Funding for Full Time and Part time Adult Education
- Maintenance grant schemes
- Student Assistance Fund
- Fund for Students with Disabilities
- Back to Education Allowance
- Tuition fee schemes
- Millennium Partnership Fund
- Childcare and Special Needs Assistant courses
- Counselling courses
- Distance learning courses
- TEFL courses
- Writing courses
- Information interview
- Self Directed Search (SDS)
The Kerry Adult Guidance & Information Service has developed this information sheet for Full Time and Part time Adult Education.
A comprehensive information resource on financial supports for students in further and higher education.The website provides user-friendly information on a variety of schemes, including:
On-line Student Grant Application System. The Student grant is available to students on Post Leaving Certificate Courses (PLCs) and full-time higher education undergraduate courses. All applications must be made through this on-line system
Courses and Training Available
A website dedicated to those who want to plan their career. The website includes tools to find out more about yourself to help you plan your career, such as an Interest Profiler to establish your areas of career interest; information on employment sectors and occupations; and information about learning such as Adult Education information and PLC course search.
A comprehensive listing of Further and Higher Education courses in Ireland, including universities, institutes of technology and PLC colleges. Northern Irish courses also included. User-friendly search facility which lets you narrow down your search by course type, province, county and more. The site also contains useful tools (such as a points calculator) and information on a variety of topics relating to going to college.